Monday, December 7, 2009

My strange double life as a Yuppie Mom


Hi there Schad Readers,

Molly here, out in New York. I haven't been contributing much to Schad lately, but that's because I've been in the midst of a job switcheroo. Here that, guys? A new job! IN THIS ECONOMY?? It's true, and I am a lucky gal. However, I'm still trying to process my previous job as a Nanny, or, as I liked to call it, Outsourced Child Raiser to the World's Wealthiest Children.

Now, this is a difficult topic to navigate. I, in no way, mean to dis Nannies themselves, nor do I mean to dis working mothers. But, as a nanny in New York, you get a glimpse into a world that, I believe, is starkly different than everywhere else the country-- essentially, Manhattan is a city of children being raised by people who are not their parents. I would be very interested to hear about what Chicago is like, or any other big metropolitan areas with big economic disparities, when it comes to raising children.

So, for the last year, I was to Yuppies as Jane Goodall was to the chimps; I, unshowered, poorly dressed, and slightly hungover, crouched amonst the wealthiest members of the New York animal kingdom and observed this strange species. And, in an ongoing series, I would like to share my findings. I learned a good deal about their eating habbits, mating habbits, and, most fanscinating, their child-rearing habbits.

I have already gone on far too long, so I will close today with just a simple Fun Fact, and come back tomorrow with an analysis of an article on gender identity written in Time Out New York Kids.

Yuppie Fun Fact of the Day: Rich People love cashews. They can talk about them for up to 20 minutes at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment